Looking back, I realize this sweater has been on my needles and I haven't mentioned it once on the blog. It was only a swatch the last (and first) time you saw or heard about this project. The problem is I update on Ravelry as I go along and forget to share the pictures and problems here. Friday I had intended to share my complaints on this sweater, not realizing it could actually be finished this weekend. Gisela was one of the most unique and interesting projects I've ever knit and it was 100% because of the Habu yarn.
Knitting a wiry, hard to handle string was not exactly enjoyable and patience was required with every stitch. Errors were easy to make if I wasn't carefully and each stitch had to be deliberately formed, which made the project drag. Knitting with this yarn wasn't an fun process and every little anomaly in my knitting shows in the fabric. Blocking helps but only to a degree.
To keep the project simple, and finishing to a minimum, I opted to knit the body in one piece, with no shaping. Once the body was completed the rest of the knitting went quite quickly and the yarn became easier to handle as my experience with it grew. Sewing together was a challenge as the fabric (and yarn) has no give. It was difficult to manipulate the sleeve into the armscye, but the rest of the finishing went smoothly.
In the end, I am more relieved this knit is finished than I am happy with the end product. I am decidedly a wool grrl and I plan on sticking to wooly yarns from now on. Gisela does, however look good with almost anything. I've worn her with jeans as well as slacks and my work mates thought she was uniquely interesting. They made more comments than usual and noticed Gisela as something new without my prompting.
Yarn: Habu Gima A-174
Needle: Addi Lace Size 8
Time to Knit: June 20 to July 18, 2009
Sweater Number Eight for NaKniSweMoDo