This subject was/is a slippery slope. Out of all the musicians who have influenced my life, who would I want to bring back? For ToT we're asked to list "10 Musicians You Would Bring Back From the Dead", but it has me wracked with indecision. Only 10?!
First, the three musicians I didn't get a chance to see when they were in Utah. Do I really want the tortured souls to return?
1. Janis Joplin - When I hear her voice today it has the same power it had for me back in 1968.
3. Jim Morrison - The Doors, their music had power for this 17 yo girl.
The best and brightest and not a tortured soul.
4. John Lennon - Imagine him alive today.
Then my favorite jazz musicans:
5. Duke Ellington - One of the best composers ever. He could write any genre of music and he played the piano like no other. If you don't know Duke's music, you need to explore.
6. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue embodies great jazz.
7. John Coltrane - Trane was an influential pioneer of jazz.
8. Ella Fitzgerald - No one scats like Ella.
9. Billie Holiday - Sad, lonely, bluesy, and elegant jazz all rolled into one.
And my favorite classical musican/composer:
10. Beethoven - You really should listen to his string quartets. They will lift your soul and fill your heart.
Who would you bring back if you could?