When reading an audio book, all activities are best done alone, that is, unless the person you're with is enjoying the same book. Smith and I have different taste in books and, therefore, we each have our own iPods. Usually, we only listen to books when we're alone, but it is a known fact that Smith becomes very talkative if I have my earbuds on. It is a little rude (unless you have an agreement of silence) to wear earphones when someone else is in the room.
The best thing about audio books (or podcasts) is alone time is quality time and/or time can be spent doing duel duty. Who doesn't like to multitask? I have had an Audible account since 2006, June of 2006, which means I've been listening to books for 10 years. I don't know what I'd do without my iPod.
Ten Things To Do While Listening to an Audio Book
1.Take a walk and watch the sunset (or the moon rise).
2. Clean the house. (Vacuuming may be a challenge).
3. Take the bed apart, do the laundry, put the bed back together. Fold (the rest of) the laundry. This is the time moving slowly can feels right.
4. Care for the garden. Plant. Water. Weed. (Sit back, relax and enjoy your accomplishment.) Weed again.
5. Knit up a storm (but if you need to read the pattern, stop the recording until you can pay full attention). The picture shows most of the accouterments in my knitting bag. (Side note: I love Leone Violet Candies.)
6.Mindlessly surf the web (but turn off the recording if you're going to read something).
7. Exercise in the way you like best (although, swimming may be a problem). Also, I listen while doing my PT exercises.
8. Prepare a meal (alone). Even doing the dishes isn't so bad if you've got a book in your ear.
9. Do nothing (which is OK!). Just listen (it's an awesome experience)!
10. Sit on the patio with a cup of tea, or better yet, a glass of cold white wine, or a cocktail. Listening to an audio book makes everything better.
Ten Things To Do While Listening to an Audio Book is brought to you by Carole.