When I was a kid I thought it would be wonderful to be a best selling novelist. I read as many books as I could, my nose constantly buried in a book, and I thought writing a novel would be FUN! But, novel ideas rarely came my way, therefore, I never put pen to paper. I've concluded novel writing would be a very hard thing to do (especially when you have no novel ideas).
Here it is ToT and Carole has requested we writing the first line of a novel, but I don't think my first line(s) will capture your imagination. Instead, I thought it might be fun to turn this into a quiz. Each quote comes from one of my favorite novels and I want to see if you know any of them (without searching for the answer on-line). Answers to be revealed at a later date.
1. Barrabás came to us by sea, the child Clara wrote in her delicate calligraphy.
2. I am fifty-four years old, the age my mother was when she died.
3. A candleflame and the image of the candleflame caught in the pierglass twisted and righted when he entered the hall and again when he shut the door.
4.The idea of eternal return is a mysterious one, and Nietzsche has often perplexed other philosophers with it: to think that everything recurs as we once experienced it, and that the recurrence itself recurs ad infinitum!
5. I have been afraid of putting air in a tire ever since I saw a tractor tire blow up and throw Newt Hardbine's father over the top of the Standard Oil sign.
6. On a mountain above the clouds once lived a man who had been the gardener of the emperor of Japan.
7. Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
8. The train came out of the long tunnel into the snow country.
9. I had seen her just the day before--a day of pale blue skies and summer breezes.
10. They dressed me in white for my daddy's funeral.
I'd love to know if any of the first lines make you want to read the book. If so, leave a comment and I'll share the title with you and I'll reveal the titles on the list later in the week.