Today Carole's ToT has given me the opportunity to tell you about one of my favorite pieces of furniture. My first choice would have been the table my grandfather made and gave to me when we moved to a new house and I had my own bedroom (age 5). It's in high use today and could not be uncovered or moved for a show and tell.
I decided to tell you about my old rocking chair, a piece of furniture I've loved.
1. I bought it some time in the 70s, maybe 1974 or 1975 and had to put it on layaway, as I didn't have $100 to spend at one time. I loved it the minute I saw it.
2. I don't know much about its provenance, and I was told it was about 100 years old.
3. The man who sold it to me was an old timer with a beat up old cowboy hat. He'd been in the antique business for years.
4. The chair is made from mahogany and the deep color of its finish is what first thing that caught my eye.
5. The decorative two color inlay on the back, is another element that attracted me.
6. The rocker has been in my living room ever since I bought it.
7. A few years ago the top piece across the back snapped and cracked.
8. It broke my heart to think no one would sit in it again, at least not without extensive repair.
9. I don't know what to do about fixing the back, or if I even if I should.
10. I still love my rocker and it now sits in my junque/guest room to hold a basket of yarn. I don't think it could take any more weight.
Do you have an old piece of furniture you love?