Carole's asking about our favorite side dishes for ToT and as I think about what we like, I can sum it up rather quickly. Grilled veggies! We love grilling and we grill everything we can. We love veggies most of all! You never need dirty the kitchen nor heat up the house at this time of year.
1. Potatoes - foil wrapped or straight on the grill, tossed with olive oil and za'atar.
2. Zucchini - cut into strips, or as we do with our new favorite, round zucchini*, cut into wedges, tossed with a dot of oil and Aleppo pepper.
3. Carrots - whole or cut into halves, depending on size, spritzed with a bit of oil, with a little salt, pepper and cumin.
4. Eggplant - cut into half inch slices, spritz with oil, grill and serve with a yummy sauce. I love this one. My tip for you is to buy small, young eggplant, as they will be not be bitter.
5. Sweet potato - slowly roasted with a nice spicy chipotle sauce.
6. Onions - Cut near the top of the onion but not all the way through. Slip a pat of butter under the "cap" of the onion. Wrap the onion in foil and grill near not coals for 30 minutes (more for a large onion - time depends of size of onion).
7.Tomatoes - Not everyone likes a roasted tomatoes, but roasting brings out their sweetness. Search the internet for a recipe you like (I've tried several), but you can always brush with olive oil, before roasting, and sprinkle with fresh basil when you serve.
8. Garlic - Cut a full head of garlic in half, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Wrap in tin foil and grill for 30 minutes, or until cloves are soft. It's delicious on anything and everything.
9. Green beans - cut vine end from the bean. Toss the beans with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Thyme is very good one green beans, but try other fresh herbs you may have on hand.
10.Grilled fruit - Watermelon and pineapple are great to serve with dinner, but peaches and nectarines are wonderful for dessert. Slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream. I don't bother with sugar, but your sweet tooth my beg to differ.
*This is the worst year in the garden in 5 years. We have squash bugs, which are the bane of any gardener. My heart just sinks when I think of it. We've been squishing bugs between our figures and plucking eggs from under the leaves, but with nearly 50 gardens, the bugs have a huge supply of fodder. Sadly, we will have few, if any squash of any sort this year.