There is no Bah in our Humbug, no Christmas in our Merry, we celebrate the season with joy and delight, no obligations, no family in sight. We are two together, we are one, we are happy with our lack of tradition. There are a few things we like to do each year at this time, but we keep it as relaxed and as simple as we can.
1. First on our "to do" list is to light the dark until the return of the sun. Every surface of the living room is covered with tiny white lights and the space is aglow. Faux candles, scattered throughout the room, offer a little more luminosity to the dark. This is my happy place until the light returns.
2. Some years the needlepoint Santas are brought out of hiding. Their happy faces peek from the shadows, where they twinkle and shine as light hits their lustrous threads. We're especially fond of the garden Santa.
3. Many years ago we spent Christmas Eve with very dear friends. While they are no longer with us, Smith and we have carried on the tradition by creating a special dinner for two, usually by candle light.
4. In recent years we've spent Christmas morning at the movies, usually with friends. We enjoy a less crowded theater, as the droves show up for later shows. This year there are many great choices and we're not sure which movie to see. Any suggestions?
5. We celebrate the day the light returns.This year it's December 21st. The darkest, longest night is worthy of celebration, as it is the day the sun stops retreating and starts its trek across the sky to bring more light to the day. The coldest days of winter are ahead, but the light will help to warm us as it returns and spring cannot be far behind. I will keep my eye out for the snowdrops.
There you have it, a house of not many traditions, but we have a wonderful and joyful day. Do you have favorite tradition of the season?
ToT day with Carole! Happiest of Holidays (ALL the Holidays)!