The crucial point of the sweater had come. It was time to place the buttons and decide on where to put the buttonholes. When I went to mark said buttons and buttonholes, it was obvious I had misremembered on which side of a sweater the buttonholes should go. I had completed the side that should have had holes, without said holes. Seriously, sometimes I wonder at my ability to think.
Since I had no idea what style of button I wanted before I went to the LYS, I walked in with an open mind. The very first button that caught my eye ended up being the button of choice. I had intended to take pictures of different buttons lined up down the front, in order to include you in the process, but my camera stayed in my back pocket (yes, that close at hand). I must have been suffering from a classic case of camnesia.
Over the weekend I was able to recover from my error by finishing the left band and by getting start on the right band. The method of buttonhole creation I'm using is EZ's One Row Buttonhole (described here in Knitty). With nine buttonholes to execute it's taken a bit of time, but I'm about half way through.
I should finish the last few buttonholes tonight and (FINALLY) get this sweater off my WIP list. It's currently in the high 80s in SLC, so I don't plan on wearing this baby for a few more months, but she'll be ready to go come fall. Don't worry, I'll make sure you see the FO.