Inspired by Vicki and her make.do.dye for Project Spectrum, I went out on a limb and knit a Holden Shawlette with undyed yarn. The yarn, a mystery stash yarn of 50wool/50silk, was perfect for a soft and delicious wrap and the intent from the beginning was to follow Vicki's lead and dye it.
The dye pot was stuck in the back of the pantry, covered in dust, unused for who knows how long (a long time!). At the beginning of this adventure there must have been an inkling of desire or I wouldn't have inched my way out onto the limb. Deciding a color was difficult (constant state of indecision is me). I didn't want green (duh), didn't want blue (knit with enough blue lately), didn't want yellow, or gold, and was unsure about red. That doesn't leave many options, but something about the fall colors, and warm red-oranges, enticed me.
There was no scientific formula, just a seat of the pants kinda move, as I mixed up a teaspoon full of dye in rust, a big pinch of scarlet, and a dash of brown, then dumped it into the dye pot (with a couple tbls of vinegar), right on top of the already wet shawl. In truth, I should have used more scarlet but, as I said, it was a seat of the pants move.
The pot cooked for 30 minutes, but as it neared the end, I could see the shawl was saturated, the dye not quite exhausted. With hope I tossed in a skein of white junk yarn to absorb what was left and it did the job! It turned a very weak orange which left the water clear. I did not take pictures of any part of the process until the shawl was blocked. As I said, this was a seat of the pants move, but I’m rather delighted.