Kim (how many Kim's are there out in Blogland?) came to Salt Lake bearing gifts (you are so generous grrl!). One side benefit of a guest coming to stay is my room has been straightened up and piles of 'stuff' put away. In this picture you can see the rug that Kim crocheted with yarn she hand dyed and spun. Gifts made by a friends hand are always extra special and having this rug in my
junque room studio reminds me of her visit and our growing friendship. Part of the clean up included a new bin for my fiber acquisitions. Rovings from Amy and Teyani arrived late last week and were added to the small fiber stash. You can see Amy's 'Bubblegum' (pink/blue superwash merino), Teyani's 'Satisfaction' behind it (also superwash) and Amy's 'Chocolate Dipped' (BFL) behind the big pile of white roving. Speaking of that white roving, Kim also brought it along as a gift, too. It's merino top, that feels like butta, from her friend Chloe's farm, and it holds so much potential and inspiration! It's hard to not spend hours petting it and I spend hours throughout the day thinking about how wonderful it is. All that lovely white fiber screams to be dyed and spun...it just screams!! What until you hear what I have in mind for it (and for you, too!).
Now this this post is more like thinking out loud, but I want you to be thinking about this, too. My thoughts are to have a Dye-Spin-Knit Along, in which you would create your own sock yarn based on the book "The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook". Some of the ideas running around in my head are...
- Dye your own or purchase already dyed roving.
- Spin your own yarn. Hand spindling will be highly encouraged (you can consider me anew zealot of the spindle) but, spinning on a wheel will be allowed.
- Knit any sock you like and there are many cool ideas in the book.
- The KAL will run from October 2006-March 2007.
- There will be a blog and Blogless Karen (not to be confused with Carole's Blogless Sharon) will be the co-host. She has experience in dyeing, spinning and knitting.
- The assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to practice spinning (or learn to spin) on a spindle, amass needed supplies (plus the book), and get ready to have the most fiber fun ever.
We'll have more details, sign ups and a blog some time in September, with the kick off on October 2nd. Get ready, get set.....